Saturday, November 28, 2009

Quiet

Whoops, forgot to post yesterday. Well, I've missed a few days here and there in my determination to post something every day in 2009.

I spent most of the day out and about, having determined to put aside my usual hermitlike tendencies. And truly, Los Angeles is rarely so pleasurable as on a holiday. The streets are deserted and the air is clean. Really, people, within one short day of taking thousands of cars and trucks off the road, the air quality measurably improves. Should be a lesson there.

There is also a marked difference in how the city simply feels. There is a calm, a sense of quiet that is rather remarkable.

I drove out to Malibu with a friend. Normally the trek involves an hour or more of smog-sucking traffic, but yesterday? A breeze. We wandered around enjoying the ocean and looking at the houses and drove through the canyons picking out where we want to live. On the way back home, we stopped in West Hollywood, which was also about two-thirds empty, and got pleasurably drunk at a couple of different clubs where only the usual barflies and a few random gays, like us, were hanging around. My dreams were vivid and weird. Lots of stuff for my brain to process, I suppose.

Give Los Angeles a whirl on the day after a holiday, if you can manage it sometime.

Email: It's Hot in Topeka

No comments: